Monday, April 29, 2013

View From the Left Coast by a Lefty: Maybe Sorta Kinda

View From the Left Coast by a Lefty: Maybe Sorta Kinda

I started to write this maybe 3 times in the past week, but had to stop each time. Each stop was caused by either downright shitty play or  a managerial error or flat out bullpen bullshit. I've ranted for at least a year and a half about Charlie (and the whole coaching staff save Sandberg) must go so I won't comment on managerial error right now. So let's concentrate on the other guffaws for now.
Let me start by saying that I rarely get to watch games during the week. I get home at 10pm Eastern time and by then I have to rely on espn.com bullshit and FB posts. We all know how reliable FB posts are so basically I'm left with box scores. Box scores are numbers that miss a lot of the game. Between the two though I can just tell that team chemistry, while not bad, ain't what it should be. There are too many mental mistakes from veterans who should know better. This can cause staring contests that don't help anyone. I blame Chollie for this because he doesn't seem able to make rational decisions that benefit the club. This isn't 2008 when talent overrode marginal guesses. I'm pissed off that I got so spoiled over the last 6-7 years that I forget my roots in Phillies fandom. We are all so used to being one of the elite franchises lately that less than 1st place does not seem possible.
The bullpen is its own entity. While not overly (to quote Sir Charles) turrible they have not established an identity or attitude yet. I can't decide yet whether Adams and Aumont are real or part time. Bastardo used to be able to pinpoint strikes, why can't he now? But my overall problem is why can't Dubee pull the trigger at the right time, or convince Charlie to do so? Same shit different year, ugh. Should I add why is Durbin on the roster?
Some positives... this week after struggling with PITT they disposed of the Mutts as they should. Nice to see a 2 out, nobody on rally for the first time since Christ left Chicago. This week basically shows the inconsistency of the entire team. But working off of a sweep doesn't suck and should provide a springboard with an off day tomorrow. Chase and Young are hitting, Howard appears to have figured out his footwork with 9 RBI’s this weekend, and Dom is staying better in every AB. I have to say I'm glad Chooch is back and hope Galvis doesn't get caught again<cough>.
One last ramble that you may not want to hear: I cannot help but possibly compare us to the Dbacks who I get to watch every night. We don't have much passion. The Dbacks have passion, determination, and never give up. They haven't been out of a game yet this season after 7-8 innings. They are 6-0 in extra inning games ALREADY. They act like little leaguers when they pull a game out. THAT, friends, is a team with chemistry and who believes they are capable of winning every night. They are 15-10 and in 1st, as opposed to our 12-14. That being said I don't think that at season's end they will be comparable. I still think the Phils can win 87-89 games with Chooch back and Doc looking to be physically able. Thank God Cole won a fucking game, now go on a tear.
Oh, and by May 4 the Phillies will be solidly in 2nd place.

Bill S aka/netfather


1 comment:

  1. While the Bastids walks are a tad high, I think hes done a good job, but yeah so far Durbin is the 2013 version of Qualls.

    ReplyDelete