Thursday, May 15, 2014

Trout Season


 

 
As if I needed a reminder on how far the Phillies have fallen since their glorious run from ’07 to ’11, I realized I was looking forward to yesterday’s game more so than any other game I’ve attended the past year and a half and it had nothing to do with the Phillies whatsoever.

 
For the first time since bursting on the MLB scene Mike Trout was “coming home.” It’s not like I was one of the legions in attendance rocking an Angels cap or a Trout shirsey. I just wanted to see him play. Live and in person. I’m sure even if you had no idea who he was a week ago you know now. Trout grew up in Millville NJ And in his only 2 full ML seasons finished second in the AL MVP voting twice. He finished behind a guy who won the Triple Crown and still managed 5 first place votes. He’s the one that’s making people say “Bryce Who?”  The fact he’s local really had only a small influence. Simple said, Trout is the games present and future.

My only fear heading down was that Trout would be given the day off after the night game on Tues, you know, because that’s my luck. I went to see Ken Griffey Jr when he first came to the Reds. The Phillies sucked ass that year (finished with 65 wins) but managed to throw up a 6 spot in the first and before you knew it, it was 9-0 and Griffey was out of the game in the 4th inning. But as I headed towards the gate with former Bunts staffer DB29,  I could hear Dan Baker announcing he starting lineup and Trout was playing. He has a pretty mediocre series 2-9 but did have a triple that I got to witness his speed rounding the bases. I thought for a second he might test noodle arm Revere but no dice. But it still beat watching Ryan Howard have one of the worst AB’s I’ve ever seen in my life. He swung and missed for strike 2 and wasn’t even within a foot of the ball. He shoulda saved face and taken strike 3 but decided it be better it miss that one by a foot and a half.

I can now add Trout to the list of the many great players I’ve seen over the years and I can go back to begrudgingly going to the Phillies games just for the love of the game not because I’m expecting a win.

See ya at the ballpark!

Jay Wrizight
jaywrizight@yahoo.com



No REAL Philly kid would peddle this garbage!

3 comments:

  1. The best 5 tool player to come along in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Love of the Game

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky bastid. Wonder if they are coming here this year.

    ReplyDelete