Monday, August 15, 2011

The SIX Horseman?

Once again the call to the pen came telling me my services were needed for Kornhole’s Alley because Korhan wasn’t available. As I began to warm up and practiced typing ASDF and JKL; repeatedly like the nerd I am I had no idea what to write about. In fact, as I type this sentence I still have no idea. Hmmm????

I’m sure by now we all know about the struggles of Cole Hamels on Friday night. He didn’t have the velocity he normally has. I don’t know about you but I was starting to get worried. Hamels is third in the National League in innings pitched this season with 172 innings pitched. Ahead of him in the NL is Roy Halladay and Clayton Kershaw at 175.2 and then its Cole and Cliff Lee with 172. The following day the Phillies said that Hamels has dead arm. There are even rumors that Halladay is fighting dead arm himself.

I think the Phillies need to go to a six man rotation down the stretch and let their work horses get the extra days rest here and there. Sure it would be great for the Phillies to match the 101 wins they had in 1976 and 1977. However, I think it would be better for the Phillies to win the World Series like they did in 1980 and 2008. However let’s not dismiss either of those and I’ll explain why.

Every Phillies starter is has an ERA of under 4 except for Joe Blanton. That’s right the Phillies have six starters with an ERA under 4. Obviously the big four in Halladay, Lee, Hamels and Oswalt. Vance Worley and even Kyle Kendrick is holding his own as well. That’s right I said KYLE KENDRICK. I’m not saying Kendrick should be used as a starter in the post season, but I think it’s fair to say that Kendrick is picking up some good habits from the aces. They’ve helped him pitch well this season, and now it’s his turn to help them. He should be used as the sixth starter for a while to allow for Hamels, Halladay and Lee go into the post season more rested and more importantly more effective.

Many baseball fans understand late in the season that pitchers experience dead arm. Last season Halladay and Oswalt were both dealing with it and turned in pretty successful runs late in the season without the extra days rest. So by using Kendrick he could pick up some innings and the starters could pick up some rest. The rosters can be expanded in September and they’ll have the extra bodies in the bull pen to pick up some of the innings later in the game.


PART II

 This is where I’m going to get our readers involved. To those who remember the 1980 season I want to get your take in this version of the Phillies. Since I wasn’t around in 1980 because I wasn’t born, I want your opinion. Does this season feel more magical then the 1980 season? Is there something about this team that makes you believe this team is better than the 1980 World Championship team?

5 comments:

  1. You can't compare the teams. Except for Carlton and Schmidt this team is superior in talent up and down the lineup(maybe throw Tugger in there too). But this year is more magical because Charlie has had to do his best job managing of his career because of all the shit that's gone down so far. Ozark had a breather compared to Charlie. That's my story and I can even go back to 64 and comment, except I'd have to go find Mauch and kill the bastid.

    Bill S aka/netfather

    ReplyDelete
  2. This team is much better then the 1980 team. The 1980 team got hot in August & September. Rookies Bob Walk & Marty Bystrom came out of no where to give them a boost. They didn't clinch till the last series of the season. The 5 game NLCS with Houston was epic with 4 of 5 games going to extra innings. The Phils were down 5-2 in the 8th with Milan Ryan still dealing. They came back to win. Best series ever. WS didn't have the same drama but was also amazing. If you had a computer simulaton & played these teams head to head 1,000 times the 2011 team would win 700 times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 2011 is better no doubt. I wouldn't mind a 6 man rotation but i'd rather see it done for 3 or 4 weeks now then go back to 5 to get the main guys back into their routine pre-playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking for this information, thanks for put in this easy way, I mean in a easy way to understand it jajaja, well until the next time.

    ReplyDelete